March 4, 2008

On Saying Goodbye to a Legend

Packers' Favre to retire after 17 seasons

Well, it had to happen eventually. I just thought it would be after next season. I'm not even going to try to hide the fact that when I "jokingly" told my boss I needed to go home after I read the news that I was only half kidding. Or maybe 30% kidding. Okay...20% kidding.

But this is a sad day. Sportscenter spent the 6 p.m. hour going over his career highlights and lowlights, why everybody loves him and whether he made the right decision. They debated whether Aaron Rodgers was ready to take over as the starting QB and whether Favre will change his mind when spring training time rolls around.

Yes, there are more important things happening in the world. McCain just won the GOP presidential nomination. But allow me to channel my sadness for other life events (personal and public) into the seemingly insignificant retirement of a football legend.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my Favre jersey and my Green Bay pajama pants and cry myself to sleep.

Favre From Heaven: Why Journalists Deify the Green Bay Quarterback

No comments: